Post Op Instructions
- No rinsing till the next day
- After 24 hours, rinse lightly with warm salt water, 8 oz. glass of water with 1 tsp. of salt
- No brushing in surgical area for 24 hours then light brushing with care taken in the areas of incision
- No spitting for 3 days
- No smoking for 7 to 10 days
- No peroxide or mouthwash for 2 weeks
- Oozing may occur for 12-24 hours - occasionally through the nose
- Do not blow nose if maxillary ( Upper jaw) procedure was done
- With gauze or Kleenex remove excess blood by wiping and apply pressure to the area if possible
- If oozing continues it may be helped with the use of a moist tea bag, it must be a dark or caffeinated tea NOT herbal tea. Place the slightly moistened tea bag over the extraction sites and bite down firmly for 20 minutes, then remove and repeat for another 30 minutes.
- Call if any questions
- Take pain medications directed only as necessary.
- At times, pain may be muscular in origin and may be helped by moist hot packs applied over the areas. BUT DO NOT USE HEAT WITHIN THE FIRST 24 HOURS.
- Swelling is normal following the many surgical procedures such as removal of wisdom teeth. This swelling may be minimized by the immediate use of ice or cold packs. Apply to the outside of the face for 15 minutes, and then remove for 5 minutes. Continue this until bed time. The swelling should be the greatest the second or third day after surgery, and then slowly recede.
- If swelling begins to increase after this, it may be a sign of infection and we should be called.
- You may develop black and blue tissue areas. They are the result of bleeding into the tissue and are of little significance.
- Foods high in protein are important to promote healing.
- Avoid chewing directly over the surgery site.
- No straws for 2-3 days.
- This may occur, depending on the surgical procedure. Be careful of the trauma area and hot foods.
- Take as directed until completed. Call if any reactions or rash occurs.
- Along with the antibiotics and pain medication, take all other medicines prescribed. Read directions carefully.
- Mild. We encourage mild activities as soon as can be tolerated after surgery. Strenuous activity should be avoided. Ask your Doctor for guidelines in your case.
- Please keep your scheduled follow up, usually in 1 week.
- Please call the office at (714) 766-6560. Dr. Marshall is available 24 hours a days, 7 days a week
B) Maxillary Sinus Grafting
Because of the close relationship to the sinus it is important to follow these instructions if sinus surgery is done.
- Take prescriptions as directed.
- Refrain from blowing your nose for two weeks
- Do not use a straw or smoke a pipe for two weeks
- Eat soft foods for several days - chewing on the opposite side as much as possible.
- Do not rinse the mouth vigorously for several days.
- Do not sneeze for 2 weeks, placing your tongue on the roof of your mouth my help suppress a sneeze. If you do sneeze, make sure your mouth is open.
Before You Visit
If you are coming in for a consult, x-rays are usually needed. Your dentist may supply them or we may need to take additional pictures depending on your particular consult. Read more...
Links of interest